Frederick Hip Hop - The J Berd Interview

Written by Roy Ghim


RG: I interviewed Retro/Ricole recently - one of the first things he told me was he considered J Berd and his crew OG in the Frederick underground hip hop scene. What's your response on hearing something like that?

J Berd: That's really dope anytime someone pays you a compliment. I appreciate that. People are afraid to show love nowadays thinking it might take away from what they're doing personally. So I respect that.

When I started rhyming in Frederick in the mid 90's it was just me and my friends. We weren't just emcees, but graffiti writers, dj's, beat makers, and just really embraced the culture. There weren't a lot of people who did this back then so when you met people into the same things, you automatically had a connection. Each one teach one. That way this culture will live forever. I've definitely always represented Frederick.

RG:  Coming to Frederick several years ago, I was feeling tentative about the move here. But walking right into Blinding Sun records (now defunct), I was advised to check out this one album, Latchkey Kids by J Berd. I took a chance on the album and I was kinda blown away.  Right away it swings  - then takes 
the listener deeper into this rabbit hole. It was a righteous sonic introduction to Frederick, to the quality on display in the local hip hop scene, and got me to throw off some of my preconceptions about the city.

J Berd: That album was produced by Scott Kuzner who is also from Frederick.  His production is ridiculous. I like to look at albums as if someone was going to listen to the whole thing at once. I like to have concepts to songs, although some times I do just want to just spit metaphors and be a wise ass. I want people to catch what I'm saying and when they do get it, they will love it. If they don't get it, then it wasn't for them anyway. People's attention spans are shrinking though. I think of the listener a lot but at the end of the day I make it for myself.

I don't even tell most people I rhyme until I know them well or find out they like good music. there is so much poor quality music that I don't want all those perceptions when I meet someone. I want to surprise them and crush assumptions.

RG: You seem to like this idea of collaboration rather that go it completely alone. Help me sort out your crews - you got MakeShift Deluxe and then there's Anonymous Conglomerate...

J Berd: Makeshift Deluxe started as a group with myself, one Ton, and Workmans Comp. It has grown into a collective of artists, dj's, emcees, beat makers, producers, and photographers. It's a big family. 

Makeshift represents the premise of hip hop which was always make do with what you have. Deluxe just takes it to the highest level.

Anonymous Conglomerate is a group I did with Pale and Telly from the production duo Heroes 4 Hire. They live in Pasadena and I would go see them every couple weeks and record. It was a lot of fun working with them as well.

Other groups I've been in are Realistics and Action Figures.  I like collaborating, it helps push each other to bring your best.

RG: I was hearing about this Sunday night hip hop series at Church St Pub and I've been meaning to go check it out. Is it still happening?

J Berd: The venue has shut down. Once we find another venue we will return. Dj Blaze Daily and myself thought about everything we didn't like about seeing live hiphop. Then we tried to keep those things away from our events. We didn't want to follow the same formula as everyone else. Why do headliners always go last? Why are there long breaks between sets? Why are there 29 acts? Our formula was different. We wanted to make it more of an enjoyable experience. We were blessed to know so many artists that were willing to be a part of Last Saturdays. So much respect to everyone that came out and played.

RG: That's a damn shame (and now I'm kicking myself for missing all that). I'd imagine there will be another venue to continue the series?

J Berd: yeah, I'm hoping so. 

RG: You got this Block Party show coming up this Saturday night at  200 East Art Haus (200 E. Patrick st). I don't think I've seen this big of a hip hop show like this in the city. Can you give hints on what to expect for those going to the show?

J Berd: The artists you will see all have they're own unique style. No one will be disappointed for sure. Although there are a lot of acts, the set times are very short. YU and Substantial are very well known artists as well. Food, good beer, music, and all wrapped up by 11pm.

RG: You told me the other day that you actually like that the show is relatively early without the super late night club hours. Actually I've been hearing more about these day concerts happening - 6AM is when they start early morning rave sessions in DC London and NYC -then people go on to work.

J Berd: I do like the idea of it being early. People can come meet up there and then go out and do what ever. We've done an afternoon show for the release of Power Lunch and it was sick. I like approaching things differently and it works. Why do I have to wait until 1am to see the headliner?  I got kids man and I've got to work in the morning!

RG: We just met the other day and I overheard you say, "Never in a million years would I ever have believed something like this (200 East Art Haus) was possible." What exactly did you mean by that?  Seems like this building that’s been through several incarnations –now transformed as a concert venue - it holds some kind of extra meaning to you and maybe as a whole to the hip hop scene here?

J Berd:  It really does mean something to me. It was difficult to get venues to entertain the idea of having this type of music for years. The misconception is that its negative and people would shy away from it.

Frederick has come a long way and I'm proud of it. We need something like this. I've always had to go to either Baltimore or D.C. to see bigger artists. Let's just bring them out here!

Note: we discussed much more but big technology fail - the voice memo app wigged out and locked me out of transcribing the interview fully. Fuck technology when it doesn't work (though when it does - I try to make up nice with technology and get back in bed with it). 

TheBlock Party at 200 East Art Haus, Saturday September 5 schedule:
7 p.m. THC
7:15 p.m. Stitch Early
8:10 p.m. Scott Free
8:25 p.m. Che Rock
8:40 p.m. Rone
9 p.m. J Berd and DJBlaze Daily
10 p.m. Substantial
10:30 p.m. YU

And there's more on Saturday. There's no indie cinema in Frederick, but for one day only, Frederick will have a chance to see what it's like to have one. To help spur a conversation forward about the need for indie cinema - we will have a a pop up screening of the British sci fi indie Ex Machina. That show will start at 5:00 pm at 200 East Art Haus. Presentation by 72 Film Fest (lending a projector), Area 31 Cinema Studios (providing the screen) and Western Machines (shamelessly pushing the cultural envelope in Frederick).  

Going backward in time, indie band Milestones will do a set at 4pm.
Back even further, at 2pm, 200 East doors will open and 72 Film Fest will show a 'Best of" 72 Film Fest from previous festivals. 

The event is 18+  (for the first time at this venue) and $10 admission gets you in for all events.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.